Monday, October 22, 2007

The Giving and Receiving Ceremony

Some have asked just what the Giving and Receiving ceremony is and if it is a legal or cultural ceremony. I guess I would say both. At the ceremony there is a lot of preliminary paperwork that is signed. Since we had four families that took quite a while. Finally an official says a few words. Some were translated and some were not, so I am not quite sure what he said. Then the baby is given to an official how then hands him (or her) to the parents. At this point the adoption is complete and the baby is legally yours. Our G & R was originally scheduled for 11am, but was postponed until 4pm. Now I should have known we would be there awhile after the way everything had gone so far, but I guess I wasn't thinking. Fortunately I did pack one jar of baby food just in case. Good thing because we were there until 6pm or later. Jordan was not pleased at the delay in his supper and cried the whole time he was being handed off to us. Here is the room where the ceremony took place.

Jordan and Johnathon with one of the orphanage caregivers.

Signing papers

Now he is officially ours!

No comments: