Saturday, October 27, 2007

A day at the zoo


Today we visited the zoo that is along the lake we can see outside our hotel window. It looks nice from our window. Close up you realize the lake is filthy and the zoo is quite sad. They had quite a few animals, but the conditions were not the best. Johnathon is too young to notice so he enjoyed it. The alligator was his favorite. We saw a cage with monkeys and several small babies. I saw something move that I that was an awfully small baby monkey when I realized it was a rat. It turns out many of the cages had complimentary rats, which I might add, do not necessarily stay in the cages. One monkey cage provided the entertainment of the day when a monkey grabbed the camera out of a man's hand. He then climbed to the top of the cage and took the back off the camera and started chewing. A zookeeper finally came and retrieved the camera, but I don't know if it will ever work again. There were also kiddy rides but there was no way I would get on one. They all appeared to be very rickety. As we were leaving the zoo I commented to John that everything we do here seems to make us appreciate all the more all that we have in the US. We finished the day out with a swim. Jordan seemed to really like the water and would have jumped right in if we had let him. Here are a few pics:


If you look close, you can see the camera.


No comments: